This posting is a bit overdue, but better late than never. To celebrate Memorial Day, Dave was a part of the annual Spokane Torchlight Parade - to honor our nations (and city's) veterans of all eras. Dave was instrumental in orchestrating the WW II "floats" for this event.
This was the Pearl Harbor Vehicle, which broke down right at the start. What a spirit of honor when men from the sidelines came out and pushed this vehicle. The parade went up and down hills for miles and all along, to the very end, onlookers came out to relieve one another - in order to help this group of men finish the parade (makes me teary even now).

This is such a cute picture, of the WWII vets waving at the kids and blowing kisses to the parade "princesses" they passed (click the picture for a better look and notice my Dave in uniform with the white cap).

For Dave, his involvement with the WW II vets is in honor of his Grandpa, Cornie Koehn, who served our country in Germany during the war. Grandpa also served in a greater army, God's army, as a faithful servant. He now sits at the throne of his Commander and we look forward to joining him in the ranks someday! Thank you Grandpa, and everyone else, for your service to God and country!


4 Comments:
wow... I have a lump in my throat now. Thanks for posting this and sharing such a special event.
I am going to forward this on to my dad, as I know there will be a part of him that will continued to be healed through seeing other Vets being celebrated!
Oh, how we miss you guys...
This is a great post, kelli! so proud of our Dave and all he does to make these men/women feel special for all they've done for our country. It's such a shame there is so little "reverence" for these heroes today. Thank you, Dave, for taking charge and making memories for these men! Love you all. . .
I have been slacking a little on checking blogs and commenting! My sister was in town for a week and we were busy busy with our 5 kids! Awesome post about the parade!! Loved the heart warming story of the vehicle being pushed all that way! We don't know Dave but he seems like a really special person...very compassionate, loyal, and kind. Thank you for your service Dave!
Kelli, I guess I was signed in under a different account! I left that last comment...me...Jenni Bishop! I'm not quite sure how that happened but oh well!
Post a Comment
<< Home